Each of us has the divine gift for self-healing. But often the body’s attempts for realization of this principle is thwarted by infection, toxicants, emotional traumas and our own unique genetic make-up. It takes a broad palette as well a various team of artists to assist the person in their healing journey and many of us will play a role in restoring the original work of art.
Exploring the links between GM foods, glyphosate, and gut health
With chronic disorders among American children reaching epidemic levels, hundreds of thousands of parents are desperately seeking solutions to their children’s declining health, often with little medical guidance from the experts. What’s Making Our Children Sick? convincingly explains how agrochemical industrial production and genetic modification of foods is a culprit in this epidemic. Is it the only culprit? No. Most chronic health disorders have multiple causes and require careful disentanglement and complex treatments. But what if toxicants in our foods are a major culprit, one that, if corrected, could lead to tangible results and increased health? Using patient accounts of their clinical experiences and new medical insights about pathogenesis of chronic pediatric disorders—taking us into gut dysfunction and the microbiome, as well as the politics of food science—this book connects the dots to explain our kids’ ailing health.
What’s Making Our Children Sick? explores the frightening links between our efforts to create higher-yield, cost-efficient foods and an explosion of childhood morbidity, but it also offers hope and a path to effecting change. The predicament we now face is simple. Agroindustrial “innovation” in a previous era hoped to prevent the ecosystem disaster of DDT predicted in Rachel Carson’s seminal book in 1962, Silent Spring. However, this industrial agriculture movement has created a worse disaster: a toxic environment and, consequently, a toxic food supply. Pesticide use is at an all-time high, despite the fact that biotechnologies aimed to reduce the need for them in the first place. Today these chemicals find their way into our livestock and food crop industries and ultimately onto our plates. Many of these pesticides are the modern day equivalent of DDT. However, scant research exists on the chemical soup of poisons that our children consume on a daily basis. As our food supply environment reels under the pressures of industrialization via agrochemicals, our kids have become the walking evidence of this failed experiment. What’s Making Our Children Sick? exposes our current predicament and offers insight on the medical responses that are available, both to heal our kids and to reverse the compromised health of our food supply.
Available January 2018Pre-order ``What's Making Our Children Sick?``
Having seen firsthand how Dr. Michelle Perro works miracles with children in her clinical practice, I am delighted to see that she and Vincanne Adams made her approach widely accessible in this groundbreaking book. It combines the latest research on gut health and the microbiome with concerning evidence about the dangers of genetically modified and industrial foods to elucidate the perfect storm that is damaging our children’s health today. Most importantly, it offers practical and actionable solutions for both parents and practitioners to help children recover their health.
Perro and Adams offer a unique analysis regarding the role industrialized food plays in the decline of our children’s health. What’s Making our Children Sick? provides an uncommon, but extraordinary blend of clinical medicine with medical anthropology via an expert, in-depth analysis as to the root cause of this health epidemic beginning with the gut. Filled with both knowledge and compassion, the authors, on a step-by-step readable journey, reveal how our children have become toxic from the very foods that are purportedly nutritious. This book will have wide readership from those who want to improve their own children’s health to the medical clinics of healthcare providers.
Michelle Perro, MD is a veteran clinician with over 35 years of experience in both pediatrics as well as in integrative medicine treating both children and their families. Her career began in Pediatric Emergency Medicine winding its way into homeopathic and functional medicine over the years. She has been director of a Pediatric Emergency Department in NYC and spent over a decade at UCSF Benioff Oakland Children’s Hospital. Dr. Perro has been a tireless advocate concerning the role of GM food and their associated pesticides and their affect on children’s health. She has an upcoming book out in January 2018 on this topic.
She is now joining the practitioners working out of the GMA offices. Michelle’s clinical practice is temporarily on hold while she participates in the book tour for her new book.
In addition to buying Michelle’s book, we highly recommend you watch her videos listed here, where she shares a tremendous amount of knowledge about the impact of pesticides and other toxicants on our children, and how she sees the healing process.
Michelle’s Guiding Philosophy to Health and Healing
Each of us has the divine gift for self-healing. But often the body’s attempts for realization of this principle is thwarted by infection, toxicants, emotional traumas and our own unique genetic make-up. My approach to healing focuses on the following approach:
- Laying out the blue-print for the person via an in-depth history, physical assessment and supporting laboratory findings.
- Based on the above, adjusting the person’s external terrain to minimize toxic exposures.
- Begin to work on the internal terrain to get the body communicating again.
The internal terrain work often begins with the gut. The aspects to gut healing include repairing intestinal permeability, rebalancing the microbiome, assisting with food breakdown via enzymes and restoring nutrients to support biological functions. If we can jump start the gut health, individuals often report better health and other treatments can ensure.
Next phases may center around detoxification and there are many ways to approach this complicated subject. My favorites include German Biological Medicine (with the emphasis on clearing the extracellular matrix of cells) due to its efficacy and gentleness for many individuals.
Getting to the root cause may then bring to light chronic infections such as Lyme, co-infections, Epstein Barr Virus or Herpes Virus to name a few. As the vitality of the person sparks, the immune system may come on board so that deep healing can take place. There are a vast array of treatment plans for infection and each plan is tailored individually.
Emotional healing is a key component of healing and some of the tools I like to employ include homeopathics combined with various types of hands-on manipulative medicine as well as therapies such as mindfulness, talk therapy, EFT, etc.
It takes a broad palette as well a various team of artists to assist the person in their healing journey and many of us will play a role in restoring the original work of art.
- Yale University, New Haven, CT; BA in Spanish-American Literature, Graduated Cum Laude. – 1974 – 78
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NY, NY; MD. Honors in Medicine and Pediatrics. 1978 – 82
- NYU/Bellevue; Three- year pediatric residency, NY, NY. 1982 – 85
- Licentiate, Masters in Public Health, Maternal and Child Health Care Division, NY Medical College, Valhalla, NY. 1988 – 89
- Institute for Natural Therapy; Diploma in Homeopathy, London. 2002
Professional Memberships, Awards, and Certifications
- 2015 – PALS certified
- 1987 – Pres National Board of Medical Examiners; Certified in Pediatrics
- 1995 – 2008 National Board of Medical Examiners; Certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- 2014 – Patients’ Choice for Outstanding Physician Award; Sutter Pacific Medical Center; SF, CA.
- 2002-2006 – Yearly recognition by the Consumer Guide to Top Pediatricians; Consumer’s Research Council of America.
- 2002 – Diploma in Homeopathy, 2002.
- 2000 – Marin County Child Abuse Association Award for excellence in the treatment of pediatric sexual assault.
- 1999 – Outstanding Teacher Award; presented by the Pediatric House Staff Oakland Children’s Hospital.
- 2014 – Present – GMOscience. Co-Founder, Executive Director, and Expert Advisory Board member and Co-founder for Scientific-based website regarding GMOs and health.
- 2015 – Present – Made Safe/Nontoxic Certified; Comprehensive human health certification to cross consumer product categories in identifying what is safe and non-toxic via laboratory certification. Serve as Science Advisor.
- 2006 – Present – MOMAS (Moms Advocating Sustainability); Marin County organization for health reforms for children against toxic exposures locally and statewide. Serve as Medical Advisor.
Michelle Perro and Vincanne Adams, What’s Making Our Children Sick?, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2017 – available November 24, 2017
Selected Articles by Dr. Perro
Media about and with Dr. Perro
- Avoiding GMO’s and Eating Organic Can Heal Multiple Conditions Quickly – an interview by Jeffrey Smith – October 2017
- Cal-EPA (OEHHA) – Glyphosate Hearing 6-7-17; Michelle Perro speaking at 35:20
- Dr. Michelle Perro
- Dr Michelle Perro at Children, Food & Health ; Tauranga – 2015-03-27
- Dr Michelle Perro: Gluten – Fad or Reality? Health Benefits of Organic Food; (In Conversation with MADGE) March 24, 2015, Sydney, Australia.
- Dr Michelle Perro paediatrician talks leaky gut, NCGS, toxicity & children, May 17, 2015
- Food as Medicine: Q & A on GMO’s, Wheat and Nutrition
- Food + Health + Family: A Parent’s Dilemma (In Conversation with MADGE); March, 2015, Sydney, Australia.
- “Genetic Roulette”; Michelle appeared in the film produced by writer/director/producer Jeffrey Smith, 2012. See Trailer.
- GMO & Healthy Food Choices
- GMOs What You Need To Know – Dr. Michelle Perro, MD, March 30, 2014
- Healing with Organic: Dr. Michelle Perro September 14, 2017
- Health Recovery from Switching to Organic & Non-GMO Diet
- HFGU#18 Modern Moms’ Pediatrician – Molly Arthur, with Michelle Perro MD
- Interview with Dr. Michelle Perro for Healing from the Ground Up, San Rafael, CA; Nov. , 2014.
- Pediatrician Michelle Perro, MD, on the Rise in Food Allergies, Obesity, Asthma, ADHD in Children
- “Secret Ingredients“; Michelle appeared in this upcoming film release, expected in late 2017, produced by Jeffrey Smith and Amy Hart. See Trailer
Dr. Perro's Toolbox
Educator/lecturer for patients, parents and professionals
- Blended Urgent Care combining conventional and integrative medicine
- Dietary intervention/elimination diets
- Emotional healing
- Environmental toxicants and the health interface
- Food allergy testing
- Homeopathy and German Biological Medicine
- Home and school environments
- Individualized plans for treating infection
- Microbiome balancing
- Organic, non-processed, non-GMO foods
- Pediatric urgent care
- Pesticide and health advocacy
List of Conditions Treated
- Atopic diseases – asthma, eczema, allergies
- Gut dysfunction
- Neurocognitive issues – Autism, ADHD
- Sleep health
- Tick-borne diseases